Monday, May 2, 2011

Fingal's Cave...

Tuesday, 19th April - (Catch-up)

Right after breakfast we headed for Staffa, which is the "home" of Fingals cave. (Not sure if it's Fingals, or Fingal's, but I'll check).

(Just checked, and it is Fingal's, with the apostrophe)

Anwyay, this morning I felt crap, and not wanting to spoil anyone else's day, I decided not to go. (This will be one of my greatest regrets, as I had looked forward to this for so long).  But I really felt weak, and a pit puffy from the asthma. Lee went along with the others, and took my camera, and she did a great job, in difficult conditions.

This is her account of it...

"Landing was OK, but challenging as tide high and some swell and some waves breaking over the concrete pier, but all of us who went, managed OK.
The second group landed at a different spot. Walking around to the cave was a buzz, but also a little scary. There is a rail to hold on to, but you are walking on the outside of the rail, and in some places there is quite a drop to the water below.
Just before we got to the cave, a group from another boat started overtaking us on the path, and it was too difficult to go down into the cave, so I took what photo's I could and headed back. This time boarding the boat was OK, and the weather was quite calm"

Like something out of an "Alien" movie!

Not paint, but some sort of marine growth.



The 'stones' are all hexagonal, and amazing in the way they have been formed, like looking at a beehive, with all its cells, except that these columns are very long and very regimented in their arrangement.

Queen Victoria was said to have done this walk, but I guess she had lots of helpers.

After Staffa, and the cave, we headed down to Iona...

No comments:

Post a Comment